Our research primarily focuses on novel models, techniques and tools in support of information extraction, data/text mining, machine learning, and network analysis. In terms of data, we are particularly interested in text data, e.g., news articles, social media data, or Wikipedia documents, as well as spatial, temporal, and spatio-temporal data, the latter either represented explicitly, e.g., in the form of time series, or extracted from text documents through information extraction techniques. Our research also has a strong interdisciplinary component, spanning the natural sciences, medicine, the humanities and the social sciences.
- Economics: construction, modeling and analysis
of finance networks; information extraction from finance data, embeddings of
time series data into network structures; see also our Marsilius Project together
with Prof. Christian Conrad.
- Law: extraction of implicit information networks
from norms and law texts, reaching into the area of Computational Law; see also
our Doctoral Research Training Group “Digitales Recht” in collaboration with
the Law School at Heidelberg University.
- Political Sciences: information extraction from
news articles and social media such as Facebook, dynamic information networks
to explore topics, persons, and organizations over time; see also the project “Wahlkampf in (a)sozialen
- Medicine: information extraction from clinical admission
notes, analysis and exploration of patient health monitoring data, see also the
- Physics: extraction of networks from observation
data to analyze and explore (evolving) structures and patterns in the data; Physics
in fact is an important driver of many eras in Networks Science.
- History/Theology: management and analysis of historic correspondence data, extraction and exploration of diverse information networks derived from historic correspondences/letters, see also the project "Theologenbriefwechsel im Südwesten des Reichs in der Frühen Neuzeit".
Beyond these academic collaborations and projects, the research group also works together with industry, for example, SAP (especially the SAP HANA Spatial Group).