Prof. Dr. Michael Gertz
- Text analysis and data mining
- Complex network models and analysis
- Data Science and machine learning
- Scientific Data Management
- Legal Tech
Michael Gertz is a full professor at Heidelberg University where
he heads the Database Systems Research Group at the faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science. He received his diploma in Computer Science from the TU Dortmund University, and his Dr. rer. nat. from the Leibniz University of Hannover in 1996. From 1997
until 2008 he was a faculty at Department of Computer Science at the University of California at Davis. His interdisciplinary
research interests include text analytics, data mining, complex networks, and scientific
data management, with applications in the medical sciences, law, physics, political
sciences, and economics.
(more elaborate CV to come).
- June 2019, "Complex Information Networks" (Keynote), 4th Data Science Symposium, Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht.
- February 2019, "Information Networks: Versatile Analysis and Exploration of Complex Phenomena", Hasso-Plattner-Institut, Potsdam, Web Science Group.
- February 2019, "Was kann künstliche Intelligenz? Eine technische Perspektive am Beispiel des Text Minings", German University of Administrative Sciences Speyer, 8. Speyerer Forum zur digitalen Lebenswelt Künstliche Intelligenz und die Zukunft des Datenschutzrechts.
- November 2018, "Die Topologie des Sachverhalts: Informationsnetzwerke zur Analyse und Exploration von Dokumenten", Heidelberg University, Mini-Symposion "Digitalisierung richterlicher Rechtsanwendung".
October 2018, "Information Networks: Towards Versatile Text Analysis and Exploration", Leibniz University Hannover, 5th Int. Alexandria Workshop on Foundations for Temporal Retrieval, Exploration and Analytics in Web Archives.
- Co-Speaker: Helmholtz Information & Data Science School for Health (HIDSS4Health), February 2019-present.
- Co-Speaker: Promotionskolleg "Digitales Recht", July 2017-present.
- Managing director, Institute of Computer Science, Heidelberg University, Germany, November 2016--present
- Dean, Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science, Heidelberg University, Germany, October 2014--October 2016
- Vice dean, Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science, Heidelberg University, Germany, September 2013--September 2014
- Professor (W3), Institute of Computer Science, Heidelberg University, Germany, October 2008--present
- Associate Professor of Computer Science, Member of the Graduate Group in Computer Science, University of California, Davis, California, July 2003--October 2008
- Assistant Professor of Computer Science, Member of the Graduate Group in Computer Science, University of California, Davis, California, October 1997 June 2003
- Associate Editor: ACM Transactions on Spatial Algorithms and Systems
- Associate Editor: ACM Journal of Data and Information Quality
- Editorial Board: The VLDB Journal (Springer), until 2013
2019: PC member: 16th International Symposium on Spatial and Temporal Databases 2019 (SSTD 2019) // 18. Fachtagung für "Datenbanksysteme für Business, Technologie und Web" (BTW 2019) // 22nd International Conference on Extending Database Technology (EDBT 2019), Demonstration Track // 13th Workshop on Geographic Information Retrieval (GIR 2019)
2017: PC Co-Chair: International Symposium on Spatial and Temporal Databases (SSTD 2017), PC member: GeoRich 2017 // 10th International Conference on Similarity Search and Applications (SISAP) // 17. Fachtagung „Datenbanksysteme für Business, Technologie und Web“ (BTW) // 11th ACM SIGSPATIAL Workshop on Geographic Information Retrieval // 25th ACM SIGSPATIAL International Conference on Advances in Geographic Information Systems (ACM SIGSPATIAL 2017), Local Organization Co-Chair: 11th ACM SIGSPATIAL Workshop on Geographic Information Retrieval
2016: PC member: 24th International Conference on Advances in Geographic Information Systems 2016 (ACM SIGSPATIAL 2016) // 20th International Conference of Extending Database Technology (EDB 2017) / GeoRich 2016 // 11th International Workshop on Quality in Databases (QDB 2016)
2015: PC Co-Chair: 23nd ACM SIGSPATIAL International Conference on Advances in Geographic Information Systems (ACM SIGSPATIAL GIS 2015), PC member: MDM 2015 // BTW 2015 // Big Data Workshop (with BTW) / GeoRich
- Helmholtz Gesellschaft, 2017
- AiF/DFG, NSF Career, Academy of Finland Panel, 2011
- Review Panel German Research Foundation (DFG), 2006
- NSF CNS Panel, NSF CI Panel, 2006
- NST ITR Site Review, 2005
- NSF CISE Panel, 2004
- South Carolina Research Initiative, South Carolina Commission on Higher Education, 1999
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), ACM SIGSPATIAL, ACM SIGMOD,
- IEEE Computer Society (I canceled membership in 2012, guess why...)
- Gesellschaft für Informatik (GI)